United States Lines Names Capt. Yarborough Assistant Marine Supt.
Capt. Edwin K. Yarborough has been named assistant marine superintendent, United States Lines.
The appointment was announced by Kenneth W. Gundling, vice president-marine, at New York, N.Y.
Captain Yarborough was previously safety director, marine, at the Lines' New York office.
He joined United States Lines in 1947. He served as port security officer aboard the S/S United States and S/S America, and also as chief cargo officer for United States Lines from 1959 to 1971.
He was cargo operations representative and supervisor from 1971 to 1976.
He has served as an expert witness to admiralty courts, and his special interests are marine architecture and ship design. During World War II, he commanded merchant vessels, as he did subsequently during the Korean Conflict.
United States Lines operates a fleet of 38 modern vessels, including 16 high-speed, high-capacity containerships in its 15,000-mile, Tri-Continent Service between Europe, the East and West Coasts of the United States, Panama, Costa Rica, Hawaii, Guam and Far East and Southeast Asian ports. The company also has 14 fast general cargo vessels engaged in chartered services in the trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific areas. Eight feeder-vessels serve ports not on the primary trade routes, both in Europe and the Far East.
Other stories from October 15, 1977 issue
- $11-Million Award To Raymond Int'l For Dock Work In Nigeria page: 4
- James A. Farrell Jr. Receives Admiral Of The Ocean Sea (AOTOS) Award page: 6
- Bethlehem Beaumont To Build Teledyne Drilling Platform page: 6
- Newport News Lays Keel For First ULCC In $418-Million Contract page: 6
- American Bureau Of Shipping Elects Johnston President page: 10
- DeLong Corporation Appoints Ogden Chief Engineer page: 10
- Dockside To Represent Burmeister & Wain In Southern California page: 11
- Sun Company Names Maling Vice President page: 11
- Atlantic Sandblasting Receives Fourteen-Ship Mexican Contract page: 12
- Paul Atkinson Retires, Peter Hepp Elected Sun Ship President page: 14
- Zapata Names Four Senior Executives To New Posts page: 18
- Booklet Describes Vinyl Coatings For Corrosion Control page: 18
- Carrington Launches Self-Unloading Cement Carrier page: 22
- Bird-Johnson Appoints National And Regional Sales Managers page: 23
- Ro/Ro Shipping-An Appraisal Of Its Role In Dry Cargo Trade page: 24
- Senior USCG Advisor Robert Lakey Joins Helge Ringdal, Inc. page: 26
- Five Companies Form Technology Group To Build Canadian Ships page: 27
- Shipowners Seek To Enjoin Alaska State Tanker Law page: 28
- Avondale Launches 165,000-DWT Tanker For Standard Oil (Ohio) Alaskan Service page: 29
- R.E. Derecktor Delivers Tug To Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Co. page: 30
- Paper On Drydock Designs Presented At San Diego Meeting page: 34
- Schneider And Moody Named To New Posts At Moore-McCormack Lines page: 34
- Burmeister & Wain Opens Marine Service Center In Hong Kong page: 34
- Prudential Lines Names Captain George Evans page: 35
- Brochure Describes Removal Of Smoke From Air Vents page: 35
- Gotaverken Delivers Third Tanker For Iraq page: 36
- Crossocean Shipping Names Thomas Giardino page: 36
- Johnston Vertical Pumps Names Hoffert Marine page: 36
- United States Lines Names Capt. Yarborough Assistant Marine Supt. page: 39
- Varo Names Johnson Marine Coordinator page: 39
- American Club Triples Tonnage In Five Years page: 39
- MarAd Releases 15 Technical Reports On Gas Turbines page: 42
- Bath Iron Works Appoints Igo Jekkals page: 43
- Webb Institute Receives Grant For Research Facilities page: 43
- ABS Reports Increase In Classifications page: 44
- APL Team To Analyze Systems Controlling Steam Plants On Ships page: 45
- Stow Introduces New Remote Valve Control Flexible Shaft page: 46
- U.S. Navy Officers Assigned To Kings Point page: 46
- Owners Strongly Oppose Federal Financing Bank Control Of Title XI page: 47
- Eleven New Members Elected To American Bureau Of Shipping page: 48
- CCL Shipcare Limited New Marine Service page: 48
- New Maritime Firm Port Fabricators, Inc. Active In Louisiana page: 50
- Edwin G.B. Terry Joins Tidewater Marine Service page: 53
- Waterproofed Engines On Self-Righting Lifeboat Restart Following Capsize page: 53
- Lloyd's Register Announces Major Changes For 1978 page: 54
- DeLong Jack Systems Described In Brochure page: 55