Approve $16-Million MarAd Title XI Guarantee For Coal-Carrying Barge
The Maritime Administration has approved the award of contracts totaling nearly $27 million for the retrofitting of pollution abatement and safety equipment aboard four tankers and two ore / bulk/oil (OBO) vessels owned by subsidiaries of the Berger Group, Lake Success, N.Y. The retrofits are needed to bring the ships into compliance with the Port and Tanker Safety Act of 1978.
Under MarAd's constructiondifferential subsidy (CDS) program, $13.9 million of the contract cost will be borne by the government. The work will be done by Jacksonville Shipyards, Jacksonville, Fla. It will include installation of crude oil washing systems, inert gas systems with i n d e p e n d e n t gas g e n e r a t i ng plants, and pollution monitoring systems.
Jacksonville's negotiated fixed price for the reconstruction of each of the 91,800-deadweightton (dwt) tankers American Heritage Heritage and Golden Monarch is $4,- 907,550. The price for work on each of the similarly sized tankers Golden Dolphin and Golden Endeavor is $4,754,307. The fixed price is $3,815,021 for work on each of the 83,200-dwt OBOs Ultrasea and Ultramar.
The CDS approved for this work is approximately 46 percent of the total cost of the retrofits.
This represents the difference between the fixed price and the estimated cost of performing the work in a foreign yard. (Japan 7 Singapore was used as the representative foreign shipbuilding center to establish the foreign c o s t s of r e t r o f i t t i n g the six Berger vessels.) In addition to the CDS, the federal government will pay $1,450,- 000 for the installation of national defense features on all six vessels.
National Steel & Shipbuilding Co., San Diego, Calif., built the vessels. The Ultramar was delivered in 1973, the Golden Dolphin and Ultrasea in 1974, the Golden Monarch in 1975, the American Heritage in 1976, and the Golden Endeavor in 1977.
Other stories from October 15, 1981 issue
- INMARSAT Set For February 1 Start page: 6
- Launch First Five-Screw Crewboat At Gulf Craft; Diesel Plant Modified By George Engine page: 7
- Submersible Drilling Barge "The Mr. Ray' Christened At McDermott Yard page: 8
- Tidewater Elects Bankston President, Koock, Ramey Are New VPs page: 8
- Crowley Establishes Unit For Energy Transportation Headed By VP Kirkeide page: 9
- Mrs. Joseph Elected Director At Twin City Barge page: 10
- Megasystems Cargo Control Systems Ordered For Product Carriers page: 10
- Dravo SteelShip Delivers The 'Mobilian' For Warrior And Gulf Navigation Company page: 11
- Moss Rosenberg Delivers First Of Three Chemical/Gas Carriers For Norwegian Owners page: 12
- Progressive Delivers First Boat For Africa page: 12
- Bay Shipbuilding Names John Schermond New Manager Of Contracts page: 13
- Zapata Christens Three Offshore Drilling Rigs Built In Singapore page: 13
- Bayou Black Delivers Sundance Sunset page: 14
- Two Brochures Available On Sperry's Doppler Speed, Navigation Systems page: 16
- SNAME Requests Technical Papers For 1982 Annual page: 16
- Five Executive Promotions Announced At Perko page: 16
- McAllister Names Alban Division Manager page: 17
- Research Continues For More Fuel Efficiency With Lower Grade Fuels page: 18
- Halter To Build Two Supply Vessels For Jackson Marine page: 51
- Canadian Firm Orders Four Large Bulk Carriers page: 52
- Seaward International Awarded Fourth Fendeir Contract By U.S. Navy page: 52
- Ashland Oil Will Use Megasystems D.O.T. Unit To Evaluate Additives page: 52
- IHI To Build World's First Mobile Arctic Caisson Rig For Beaufort Sea page: 55
- George Engine Reports Record Growth-Sales —Brochure Available page: 56
- DOT Approves License For Deepwater Oil Port Offshore Texas page: 57
- $3-Million Navy Contract Awarded To Tracor page: 57
- Christen Navy Hydrofoil 'Aquila' —Third Of Six Missile Ships Building At Boeing Marine page: 58
- HUDSHIP To Build Four Tug/Supply Vessels For Hornbeck page: 58
- 4,000-Ton Drydock 'H.S. Geneen' Ch ristened At Delta Shipyard page: 58
- Levingston Delivers Dixilyn-Field 87 page: 58
- Approve $16-Million MarAd Title XI Guarantee For Coal-Carrying Barge page: 75
- Megasystems Combustion Analysis Systems Ordered By Phillips page: 76
- $35.8-Million Contract Awarded To Build New Lock On Gulf Waterway page: 76