E X P O S H I P Riomar85
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil October 14-19, 1985 Expoship Riomar, the only international maritime exhibition in Latin America and one of four fairs organized by Seatrade, will be held this year on October 14-19 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. With the 1985 event moving back to its original venue at the Museum of Modern Art, in the heart of Rio's business center and only a short distance from the city's international and domestic airports, a high attendance is anticipated.
Expoship Riomar is sponsored by the Government of the State of Rio de Janeiro, Secretariat of Industry, Commerce and Tourism, and is organized by Fieras e Conferencias Internacionais Ltda., a member company of the Seatrade Group.
Co-sponsors are the National Superintendency of Merchant Marine, the Import and Export Agency of the Bank of Brasil, and ESABRAS— Associated Shipyards of Brasil/The Brazilian Oceangoing Shipowners Association. Over the years, Expoship Riomar and its associated conference have attracted exhibitors, visitors, and delegates from every area of the international maritime industry.
The scope of technological advances and the long list of products manufactured by Brazilian shipbuilding industries are displayed to a worldwide market, increasing Brazil's international reputation and placing this exhibition as a significant event in naval engineering and shipbuilding.
The associated Seatrade Riomar Conference will be held October 15- 16 in the auditorium of the Brazilian Naval War College in Rio. At the opening of the conference, an introductory address will be made by Dr.
Alfonso Camargo, Minister of Transport of Brazil.
Chairman for the first day of the conference will be Ambassador Manoel Pio Correa Jr., president of ESABRAS—Associated Shipyards of Brazil, and president of Ishikawajima do Brasil Estaleiros S/A—Ishibras.
Speakers will include Peter Landsberg, president of Verolme Estaleiros Reunidos do Brasil S/A; and Eliezer Batista da Silva, president, Companhia Vale do Rio Doce.
The second day of the conference on October 16 will be chaired by Hugo Sommerkamp Bernales, president of Alamar, and president, Consorcio Naviero Peruano S/A.
Conference Agenda Tuesday, October 15 Session One will be devoted to Commodity Exports. Massive new developments such as the Carajas iron ore project and the Cerrados scheme for opening up vast areas of virgin land to agriculture will transform the pattern of raw material exports from Brazil. This session will discuss these and other major shifts in South American commodities trading, and also look at their importance in terms of ports and sea transport.
The topic for Session Two will be Finance and Shipbuilding. Against the background of current economic realities and the worldwide surplus of capacity, what are the prospects for the ship construction industries of Ibero-America? What level of domestic demand can be anticipated and what prospects exist for exporting ships? What is the attitude of governments towards an industry that remains a major industrial employer?
Wednesday, October 16 Session One will discuss Trade in Manufactured Goods. The important traffic in manufactured goods ranging from automobiles to shoes, and the viewpoint of the major shippers in the Latin American liner trades will be reflected in this session.
The implications of recent political developments such as the U.S. Shipping Act of 1984 for the South American liner trades will also be discussed.
Session Two will deal with Ibero- American Ports. The need to upgrade port facilities continuously in line with the demands of trade in South and Central America will be discussed, with emphasis on cargohandling and infrastructural development.
For further information on Expoship Riomar 85 Exhibition and Conference, contact Seatrade Conferences & Exhibitions Ltd., 11/12 Bury Street, London EC3A 5AT, U.K.: telephone 01 623 7150, telex 896640 VPLO G.
Other stories from September 1985 issue
- Tidewater Marine Acquires 5 Vessels From Otto Candies page: 5
- Hawker Siddeley/Kongsberg Collaborate In Venture page: 5
- American Air Filter Offers N e w Brochure On Cartridge Filters page: 5
- Big Supply Vessel 'Nicor Sailor' Converted By Eastern Marine page: 6
- Owen And Richards Named Managers At Honeywell page: 6
- MSC Announces FSS Award Totaling $30.7 Million page: 6
- Autronica's New NK-5 Unit Monitors Ship's Engine page: 6
- Grow Group Acquires Napko Coatings Division page: 6
- Bollinger Shipyard Dedicates Island Class USCG Patrol Boat Fleet page: 7
- Sulzer ZA40 Diesels Will Power Two Ferries Ordered In U.K. And Japan page: 8
- Cummins-Powered Construction Pushboat Delivered By Keith A. Record page: 8
- Tenneco Oil And Sohio Will Use Canmar Rig For Arctic Drilling page: 8
- Canadian Offshore Resources Exposition page: 8
- Shipboard Liquid-Level Sensor O f f e r e d By Tecnomatic Controls page: 9
- Maritime Association Installs New Officers And Directors page: 9
- Royal Cruise Line To Build Two Luxury Liners At Cost Of More Than $200 Million page: 10
- Goldstein Named Chairman Of COMSAT—Joseph Promoted To President page: 10
- Krupp MaK Consolidates In North America page: 11
- Innovative Triple-Screw Tugboat Launched By Halter Marine page: 11
- Truman Joins INDEECO As A d v e r t i s i n g Manager page: 12
- Moss Point Marine Delivers New Sternwheeler, Colonel page: 12
- Aluminum Boats Delivers High-Speed Crew/Utility Vessel To A&P Boats page: 12
- Matson Asks Bids On $30 Million Conversion of 'Matsonia' page: 14
- Brown & Root Awarded Feasibility Study Contract For Chevron Offshore Unit page: 15
- Congressional Maritime Caucus Establishes An Advisory Board page: 15
- SHIPLIFTING AND DRYDOCKING SYSTEMS page: 16
- OUTSTANDING RIG DESIGNS page: 16
- Bethlehem's Newest Jackup Design Can Drill In Water 600 Feet Deep page: 19
- Congressman To Address OMSA Meeting On Warehouse Vessels page: 19
- Alsthom Unit Strengthens Position In Norwegian Offshore Market page: 20
- Sandy Hook Dispatch Boat Delivered By Gladding-Hearn page: 20
- Saab Receives Order To Supply TankRadars From Tampa Shipyard page: 21
- Bertrem Products Importing Straub Couplings For U.S. And Canadian Distribution page: 21
- Conversion Of Fast Sealift Ship 'Regulus' Completed By NASSCO page: 22
- ASRY's 1984 Revenues Up Nearly 20 Percent page: 22
- Wartsila Wins Contract To Build Rig Transport Vessel For USSR page: 22
- E X P O S H I P Riomar85 page: 24
- Midland Ross Offers Free, 20-Page Brochure On Max-Gard® System page: 25
- Wilson W a l t o n Receives Two Contracts For Emergency Service page: 26
- Sale Of Imperial Survival Suits Approaches 100,000 page: 26
- Laursen Selected As New Managing Director Of Hemple Holding page: 28
- Owen And Richards Named Managers At Honeywell's Marine Systems Division page: 28
- CANADIAN SHIPBUILDING AND REPAIR YARDS page: 28
- Hollming Opens Louisiana Office For Marketing Aquamaster Product Line page: 29
- Two N e w Instruments To Measure C u r r e n t / V o l t a ge Introduced By Amprobe page: 29
- U.S. NAVY SHIP PROCUREMENT page: 30
- Holman and Wildasin Elected At Raymond International page: 31
- MIROS To Market New Products In U.S. page: 32
- Furuno Introduces New Low-Cost, High-Performance Loran Navigator page: 32
- NMEA Plans Expansion Of Interface Standard page: 32
- Kockums Completes Advanced Car/Truck Carrier For Wallenius page: 33
- Cincinnati Gear Completes Testing Of New, Sophisticated Marine Drive For Navy T-AO 187 Class Oilers page: 34
- New Alarm Reduces Boiler Failures, Diesel Failures And Repair Costs page: 34
- ADS Workshop Scheduled For October 2-3 In Chicago page: 35
- Seattle Yard GM Elected To Todd's Board Of Directors page: 35
- Caterpillar Offers 20-Page Catalog On Marine Diesels page: 35
- Wagner Wins $4.5-Million Contract For Steering And Control Systems page: 35
- Three Major Beth Steel Programs Highlight New Offerings To The Offshore Industry page: 36
- LiCausi Establishes New Boiler Consultant Firm page: 36
- West Coast Manly Shipyards Delivers Fisheries Patrol Vessel Leonard J. Cowley page: 36
- Free 12-Page Brochure On Marine Control System Offered By Forney page: 37
- Detroit Diesel Allison Announces Significant Engineering Advancements To Its Series 149 Engines page: 37
- Tyne Shiprepair Awarded Defence Ministry Contract To Convert Fleet Auxiliary page: 37
- Product Carrier 'Lucy' Christened At Hyundai's Ulsan Yard For Overseas Shipholding Group page: 38
- New Brochure Highlights Capabilities Of Marathon LeTourneau Offshore page: 38
- Aalborg Vaerft Awarded Danish Navy Contract For Seven Flex 300 Convertible Combatant Vessels page: 38
- McDermott Completes Twin Drilling Rig Ordered By Helmerich & Payne International page: 41
- Meyer Werft Shipyard Converts Containership Into Livestock Carrier page: 41
- Marine Drive Systems Announces N e w Shaft Systems page: 41
- N e w X-FLO Turbo Compressor Represents Major Advance In Impeller Technology page: 41
- Kockums Yard To Build Universal Ferry For Polish Shipping Company page: 41
- Transtema Kockumation Introduces New Computer System For Shipping Industry page: 41
- Huge Drydock At Bethlehem's New Sabine Yard Now Operational page: 42
- Marinette Marine Lays Keel For First Of 13 Yard Patrol Craft page: 42
- Avondale's Harvey Division Finishes Major Refurbishing Of Offshore Tug page: 44
- Meco's " T a r g a " Technology Boosts Water Maker Efficiency page: 45
- Orders A n d Deliveries Of T w i n - S c r ew Schottel-Tugs Continue W o r l d w i de page: 45
- N e w M e t h o d Of Inspection Used By Pacific M a r i ne Is Cost-Effective page: 45
- Report Shows Amerlock 400 To Be Cost-Effective Maintenance And Repair Coating page: 46
- MHI Develops Energy-Saving Marine Super Turbo Generating System page: 46
- Centurion Industrial Marine Offers The 'Crew Seat page: 47
- New Brochure Available From SKF Steel Couplings On Its OK Coupling page: 47
- New Instrument Manifold Improves Safety In Process Control Systems page: 47
- Inventive Machine Introduces Improved B l a s t / V a c u um Units page: 54
- Barksdale Controls Presents Line of Pressure Transducers page: 54
- Limitorque Introduces New Worm Gear Operators For Valve Or Mechanism Control page: 54
- Electronic Mail Techniques Save Thousands Of Dollars In Message Costs, According To NAV-COM Report page: 55
- Uniden To Introduce Six New Marine Radio Models At IMTEC Show In Chicago page: 55
- A New 12-Inch Radar From Krupp Atlas Elektronik page: 55