Robertson Multipurpose Pilot Handles Complex Vessel Control Problems, Upgrades Vessel Performance
Robertson Marine Systems, Inc.
of Metairie, La., is offering the Robertson Multipurpose Pilot (RMP), a family of intelligent vessel control systems designed for precision vessel maneuvering and dynamic positioning.
According to Robertson Marine, the RMP can steer, position and maneuver any vessel in any trade. A unique combination of operating modes are available as standard: autopilot steering; manual joystick maneuvering with speed and position control; automatic heading control with manual joystick speed and position control; automatic highprecision tracking; and dynamic positioning.
Operation of the RMP system is simple. The operating mode of the system is clearly shown in the alphanumeric displays and safety is ensured by a built-in self test and alarm system. Lengthy operator training is not necessary.
The RMP control panel consists of three modules: AP9 MKII autopilot; joystick control module; and thruster control module. These modules can be supplied in one mounting frame, or individually to suit the bridge layout and the vessel's specific operational requirements.
Autopilot control—AP9 MKII is an autopilot designed for optimal automatic steering. Course selection is made using a rotating course selector and incremental course adjustments of 1 degree by push buttons.
Set course is shown on a digital display. Deviation from set course is indicated on a separate analog bargraph.
Direction of rudder commands are illustrated with arrows.
The autopilot is easily adjusted to meet sailing conditions and each vessel's characteristics. Rudder, counter rudder, weather helm and rate of turn parameters are selected by using dedicated push buttons.
Joystick control—Precise vessel maneuvering at any speed is carried out from the joystick control panel.
Standard operation features include: manual joystick control of vessel position, heading and speed; automatic heading control with manual joystick control of vessel position and speed; and selection of vessel's point of rotation at bow, midships or stern.
Thruster control—The thruster control is custom built for the vessel's specific propeller and thruster configuration. The RMP system automatically allocates and calculates the command signals to the selected propellers, engines and rudders and displays the thrust direction and magnitude in analog form for operator conceptualization.
For free literature giving complete information on the Robertson Multipurpose Pilot, Circle 52 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from September 1990 issue
- Aeroflex Isolator Offers Shock Protection For Sensitive Equipment page: 6
- Hitachi Zosen Completes VLCC Sea Prince' page: 6
- Service Engineering Completes Purchase Of Continental Maritime page: 7
- Aluminum Boats Delivers Sleek 140-Foot Dinner Yacht page: 8
- Ferry Simulation Available For Shiphandling Training At MarineSafety/CAORF page: 9
- MagneTek Defense Systems Offers Quality Power-Conversion Products For Today's Navies page: 10
- Eastern Shipyards Delivers Fish Processor 'Northern Victor' Following Complex Conversion page: 11
- Robertson Multipurpose Pilot Handles Complex Vessel Control Problems, Upgrades Vessel Performance page: 11
- Hardware Specialty Appoints Berit Ships Division Manager page: 12
- Sperry Marine Introduces New Stand-Alone ARPA page: 14
- Orders Grow For MAN B&W Diesel's 'Mini-Bore' S26MC Engine page: 14
- Bromination Systems From Everpure Provide Reliable At-Sea Water Treatment page: 15
- New HF Cradle System Offers Safer, More Cost-Effective Material Handling At BIW page: 16
- FANA To Build Temporary Shelters For Iranian Earthquake Victims page: 17
- PHOENIX WORLD CITY: Billion-Dollar Ship Project Takes Shape At Avondale page: 18
- New Committee Supports Use Of U.S. Products In World City Project page: 22
- Southwest Marine Awarded Cruise Ship Conversion Contract Worth $75 Million page: 23
- New Coast Guard Rescue Vessel Built By Textron Marine Successfully Completes First Test page: 23
- MTU To Unveil New Generation Engine, Series 595, At SMM '90 page: 24
- 12-Page Tank Coating File Helps To Make The Right Choice Of Sigma Product page: 24
- SMM 90: THE HAMBURG SHOW page: 26
- Moss Point Marine Delivers Detroit Diesel-Powered Fire Boat For Use In Honolulu Harbor page: 30
- Sulzer Forms Diesel Joint Venture With Italian And German Shipyards page: 30
- Gladding-Hearn Adds Fiberglass Hull To Line Of Deep-V Steel And Aluminum Pilot Boats page: 31
- NWH Nimonic Valves Successfully Cope With Extreme Situtations And Improve Valve Lifetime page: 31
- Lapeyre Brochure Details Features And Applications Of Alternating Tread Stairs page: 33
- New High-Performance Turbocharger Offered By ABB Turbo Systems page: 34
- Status Report On U.S. Navy Ship Maintenance And Repair page: 37
- THE PROPULSION SYSTEM: HEART OF TODAY'S NAVY VESSEL page: 39
- House Committee Releases FY 91 Defense Bill Markup page: 47
- NAVY MARKETING MEETING page: 48
- TANO Awarded Contract For USCG's Prototype Heritage Class Patrol Boat page: 48
- 14th Aegis Guided Missile Cruiser Built At Ingalls Christened 'Hue City' page: 48
- SPD Looks To Expand Product Lines To Adapt To Changing Defense Market page: 49
- Willard Marine Anticipates Quick SOLAS Approval For 18- And 22-Foot RIBs page: 51
- SEACO/Elliot Introduces New Line Of Reversible Life Rafts/Platforms page: 52
- 240-Ton Tugboat Raising Made 'Light Duty' With Slingmax Twin-Path Slings page: 55
- Fincantieri Delivers 135,000-DWT Bulker To Italian Owner page: 56
- BoatLIFE To Supply Deck Compounds For Cruise Ship Project page: 57
- ASNE SYMPOSIUM 1990 page: 58
- Saab Marine To Equip Environmental Tankers —Literature Available page: 61
- Anschutz 'Nauto Control' Product Line Fulfills Navigator Demands page: 62
- Crowley Maritime Names Rockwell Smith Manager, Oil Transportation page: 63
- Load-Dispersing System From Uni-Mat Used In Transport Operation page: 63
- Aeroquip Introduces Stainless Steel Marine Fittings page: 65
- Mid-Coast Marine Delivers Combination Crabber, Packer page: 66
- Dorman Diesels' 'Sea King' Engine Range In Demand For Fishing Propulsion Market page: 67
- Inorganic Coatings Offers Brochure On IC 531, Zinc Silicate Technology page: 67
- Du Pont 'Kevlar' Mooring Ropes Perform Like Steel, Handle Better Than Nylon page: 68
- New Literature Describes Broco Underwater Cutting And Welding Systems page: 68
- New Fairplay Book Details 1990 World Shipping Statistics page: 69
- L&C Associates Installs Dehumidification System Aboard S.S. Beaver State page: 70
- Mitsubishi Launches Daihatsu-Powered Expedition Cruise Ship page: 70
- Unusual Voith-Schneider Propulsion System Adopted For New Dutch Ferry page: 71
- Robertson Marine Named Agents For Jason Firefighting Equipment page: 72
- Rumsey Joins Pen Coal As VP Of Transportation page: 72
- Biobor JF Helps Solve Microbial Fuel Problems —Literature Available page: 72
- Schottel Pump-Jet Displays Outstanding Maneuverability During Recent Demonstrations page: 73
- Fincantieri Delivers 1,900-Passenger Superliner Crown Princess To P&O page: 74
- Standard Refrigeration Offers Rugged Marine Service Condensers page: 75
- Avondale Awards Washington Aluminum $1.5 Million In Contracts page: 76
- ARN Delivers First Of Eight Soviet Cargo Ships page: 76
- Brittany Orders Cross-Channel Ferries From Masa-Yards page: 77
- Hydro Brochure Highlights Latest Garbage Treatment Systems For Cruise Ships page: 78